Tena koutou, Shelley here,
Welcome to Memorial Park - a roading project to remember those who served at war. The Memorial Park web site is different from previous LEARNZ field trip web sites. You may have noticed that there is open access to this site, so you do not need to login to see it, and it is slightly different in appearance. NZ Teachers, we still need you to enrol your class so that you receive newsletters, can take part in or replay recorded audioconferences, use the Ask-an-Expert web board, send an ambassador and evaluate the field trip.
Things to do from this newsletter:
- view the Memorial Park web site
- book an audioconference by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- email email@example.com with your requests for this year's Memorial Park field trip
- prepare your students for their field trip
- check out the Teacher Support section (on the left side menu), with useful links
- sign up an ambassador to join us on the field trip
1. KEY DATES
- Friday 8 November - Last day for audioconference bookings with Shelley - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thursday 14 November - Audioconference questions due with Shelley - email@example.com
- Friday 15 November - Deadline for Ambassadors to arrive at Shelley’s home office ($35 payment to be sent to the CORE Education office)
- Tuesday 19 November - The Memorial Park Virtual Field Trip to Wellington gets under way!
2. ENROL YOUR CLASS
- The Memorial Park field trip takes place from 19-21 November.
- Please enrol all the classes you are taking on this field trip through your MyLEARNZ control panel. This enables us to report accurately to our supporters, continue to offer LEARNZ free of charge and it helps us to support you and your students.
- Personalise the field trip for your students by taking part in a live audioconference using the MoE audiobridge at no cost. During audioconferences students will be able to put questions to experts who are on location.
- Two 20-25 minute audioconferences will be held on each day of the field trip.
- Details about connecting to audioconferences are in your MyLEARNZ control panel.
- Taking part in audioconferences is a great activity for your class.
- All you need for an audioconference is a speaker phone. Skype can also be used.
- Check the audioconference topics on the timetable and book your audioconference now by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. YOUR SUGGESTIONS
- Do you have suggestions for the Memorial Park field trip website? Maybe you would like a video made on a specific topic, or career for your students. Email email@example.com if you have a request for content such as field trip videos, audioconferences, diaries or photos.
- Schools are invited to send an ambassador on this field trip.
- Sign up your ambassador through your MyLEARNZ control panel.
- Your ambassador must arrive no later than Friday 15 November.
- If you have questions regarding the field trip please email me firstname.lastname@example.org call 0800 22 55 53 (0800 CALL LEARNZ).
7. FOR TEACHERS WHO ARE NEW TO LEARNZ:
- There is no prescribed way of using a LEARNZ virtual field trip.
- Curriculum links are available for you to check and see how the field trip relates to your class programme.
- Use your teacher or class login (username and password) for anything related to audioconferences or to use the Ask-an-Expert web board.
- Give the class login (username and password you set up for them in MyLEARNZ) to your students to use in class and at home.
- For help with login procedures go to Teacher Registration explained or call the teacher free phone 0800 22 55 53.
- The Prepare Students section of the Memorial Park site ensures your students are ready when the field trip gets under way.
- The background readings give an overall idea of the topic and can be used to generate further inquiry. The activities consolidate new learning and encourage deeper thinking.
- During the field trip your class can follow the action in my daily diary, watch the videos, and ask questions or listen during live audioconferences with our experts. Combined with the background readings, and Ask-an-Expert (requires a login), these components are powerful mediums for inquiry learning.
- See also Getting Started with LEARNZ.