Teachers, did you make your own unit or activity or lesson plan for this field trip? If so, please email it to us firstname.lastname@example.org for sharing.
- For PLD on this field trip go to the Webinar Schedule and Recordings
- Generic Planning Sequence for a LEARNZ virtual field trip - Word (610k) | PDF (233k) | Google doc.
- EPIC: Through EPIC The Ministry of Education has paid a subscription on behalf of all registered New Zealand schools to access a range of quality, educational e-resources. For information about how to register with EPIC go to http://www.epic.org.nz/. More information is at https://www.tki.org.nz/epic2. If you are unsure if your school is registered ask your librarian or principal.
- Video question sheet - Word (31k) | PDF (217k) | Google doc to use for each video (based on SOLO Taxonomy).
- Audio activity: Students can work on this activity while they listen to live or recorded audioconferences - Word (25k) | PDF (167k) | Google Doc. Notes from these pages could be shared to help put together the class audioconference summary
- Do a class audioconference summary. Making a class summary of an audioconference is a great way of reviewing the information your students heard. It's easy to do, purely as some text, or as main facts on a picture background. Feel free to use the audioconference summary sheet - Word (29k) | PDF (114k) | Google doc. We'd love to share your ideas so please send your class summary to email@example.com.
- Remember you can listen to the enhanced audioconferences again from the audio recordings if you want to gather more information.
- What is a Smart Motorway? - About the Wellington Northern Corridor.
- How do Smart Motorways work? - Video.
- Smart motorway systems of the future - YouTube video.
- CREST is an international awards scheme designed to encourage years 0-13 students to be innovative, creative, and to problem solve in science, technology and environmental studies.
- CREST in the classroom: CREST projects can also help provide the evidence for NCEA assessment and be used as entries to regional science and technology fairs and other such competitions.
- LEARNZ with CREST: Using the Nature of Technology and/or the Nature of Science strands, use this field trip as an immersive or reflective context, or as background research for a CREST investigation.
- Automobile Association UK: Smart motorways - The new name for actively managed motorways.
- Visit the NZTA education portal to learn more about our road network.
- Explore New Zealand Primary Sources relating to New Zealand’s roading system.
- Search Digital NZ for text, images, video, audio and data related to New Zealand's roads.
- Search the National Library Collections for New Zealand transport and order digital and printed material free for your class.
- Futureintech for Students: Futureintech shares the career experiences of New Zealand's technologists, engineers and scientists to help you decide if a job like theirs is right for you.
- Bright Sparks 2015 - Bright Sparks offers a prize pool of $10,000 for students to develop their skills in electronics, technology, software and science. The annual Bright Sparks Awards is a showcase for the creativity and discipline of school students.
2016 TechHub CREST Challenge
This challenge for Year 9-10 students is being run in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch during terms 1 and 2 of 2016. Teams will compete for school and regional titles with the winners from each region competing for a national title.
This year there will be a structure that supports students in a different way giving them better exposure to subject experts throughout the challenge. There will also be support for teachers.
Registrations of interest are now being taken from teachers interested in running the challenge in their school in 2016.
You can register your interest in the 2016 challenge and check out what happened in the 2015 TechHub Challenge.
Contact Jessie McKenzie firstname.lastname@example.org or Joy Cottle email@example.com for more information.
Using your school's EPIC membership you will be able to use the Australia New Reference Centre database. Using the search words Smart motorway New Zealand gives articles that have appeared in our newspapers. Click in the Full text box (on the left hand side) to only get whole articles.
Other search words (tags) you could search with are:
- managed motorways
- traffic engineering
For help using this and other EPIC databases, connect with free virtual help at Any Questions.
PDF documents: To view or print out PDF documents you will need the Adobe Acrobat (PDF) Reader. This is available free from the Adobe website.