Smart Motorways Newsletter 2 for teachers
Tēnā koutou, Andrew here,
The Smart Motorways field trip takes place in two weeks (25-27 August). On the trip you will see how New Zealand's first smart motorway is progressing.
Things to do from this newsletter - (previous field trip newsletters can be read here).
- book your audioconference now to secure a time that suits your class
- continue to prepare for your students' participation in the field trip by working with the background readings and completing the activities
- prepare your class to put questions to experts and listen to a live audioconference
1. Enrol your class
- Please enrol all the classes you are taking on this field trip; this enables us to report accurately to our supporters, continue to offer LEARNZ free of charge and it helps us to support you and your students.
- Personalise the field trip for your students by taking part in a live audioconference using the MoE audiobridge at no cost. During audioconferences students will be able to put questions to experts who are part of Smart Motorways.
- One 20-25 minute audioconference will be held each day on 25-27 August.
- Details about connecting to audioconferences are in your MyLEARNZ control panel.
- All you need for an audioconference is a speaker phone. Skype can also be used.
- Check the audioconference topics on the timetable and book your audioconference now by emailing Andrew the LEARNZ Teacher
- Participating in audioconferences is a great class activity.
3. LEARNZ on Adobe Connect
- During the Smart Motorways field trip, the LEARNZ team will be running an Adobe Connect meeting room concurrently with live audioconferences. An explanation of the many ways this room is used to support the audioconference experience is at http://www.learnz.org.nz/support/adobe-connect.
- Look out for an email leading up to the field trip with an invitation to the LEARNZ Adobe Connect meeting room that includes the link.
- New: The LEARNZ Adobe Connect meeting room will be kept open for 20 minutes after each audioconference to allow schools to post further questions informally to be answered live. Schools do not need to book for these informal chat sessions and can join in at any time.
4. Ask-an-Expert Web Board
- Once your class has read the Smart Motorways background readings, students are welcome to ask questions on the Ask-an-Expert Web Board.
- Students should read 'Guidelines for using Ask-an-Expert' before posting questions. Students don't need to register when posting questions.
5. Your suggestions
- Do you have suggestions for the Smart Motorways field trip website? Maybe you would like a video made on a specific topic or a career for your students.
- Email Andrew the LEARNZ Teacher if you have a request for content such as field trip videos, audioconferences, diaries or photos.
6. Pilot pre-test and post-test self-assessment
- Teachers of enrolled classes were recently sent an email outlining the Smart Motorways online student pre-test and post-test self-assessment form.
- This is an opportunity to find out more about what your students have learnt during the Smart Motorways field trip.
- If you did not receive this email or you would like to find out more, please email Andrew.
7. Encouraging Parental Involvement: Home-School partnerships
- Teachers, you can communicate with parents about supporting your students' learning during this field trip. Find out how and get the text for a letter or email home.
8. Twitter updates
- Follow me @andrewpenny01 #learnztrip on Twitter during the field trip for highlights as they happen. Get involved and I’ll catch you in the Twittersphere!
If you have questions regarding the field trip please email Andrew or call the Teacher Freephone 0800 CALL LEARNZ (0800 22 55 53).
10. For teachers who are new to LEARNZ:
- There is no prescribed way of using a LEARNZ virtual field trip.
- Curriculum links are available for you to check and see how the field trip relates to your class programme.
- Use your teacher access login (username and password) if you use the site for planning purposes.
- Give the class login (username and password you set up for them in MyLEARNZ) to your students to use.
- For help with login procedures see login explained and/or call 0800 22 55 53.
- There is a planning sequence in the Resources section under the heading Contributions. This short term lesson sequence makes use of all field trip components for a 3-day virtual field trip.
- The Prepare students section of the Smart Motorways site ensures your students are ready when the field trip gets under way.
- The background pages give an overall idea of the topic and can be used to generate further inquiry. The activities consolidate new learning and encourage deeper thinking.
- During the field trip your class can follow the action in my daily diary, watch the videos, and ask questions or listen during live audioconferences with our experts. Combined with the background readings, the activities and Ask-an-Expert, these components are powerful mediums for inquiry learning.
I look forward to you joining us on the Smart Motorways virtual field trip.
Ka kite anō,
LEARNZ Field Trip Teacher.