Smart Motorways Newsletter 2 for teachers
Tēnā koutou, Shelley here,
The second Smart Motorways field trip takes place in two weeks (1-3 March). Things to do from this newsletter - (previous field trip newsletters can be read here).
- find out more about how to best utilise this field trip by accessing the Smart Motorways webinar recording
- book your audioconference now to secure a time that suits your class
- check out the survey which your students can use before the field trip to find out more about driver behaviour
- continue to prepare for your students' participation in the field trip by working with the background readings and completing the activities
- prepare your class to put questions to experts and listen to a live audioconference
1. Enrol all your classes
- Please enrol all the classes you are taking on this field trip; this enables us to report accurately to our supporters, continue to offer LEARNZ free of charge and it helps us to support you and your students.
- Personalise the field trip for your students by taking part in a live audioconference. One audioconference will be held each day during the field trip from 1-3 March.
- Booked classes - in the formal 20-minute first half of the audioconference your students will orally put their prepared questions live to experts on location. You will need a land-line speaker phone (free call), or cell phone (charges may apply), or an internet-connected device with Skype (charges may apply). To book, check the topics on the audioconference timetable then email Shelley. Details about connecting to audioconferences are in your MyLEARNZ control panel.
- Un-booked classes - use Adobe Connect to follow the 20-minute formal first half of the live, enhanced audioconference then post spontaneous questions during the informal 20-minute second half.
3. Students can carry out the Smart Motorways survey
- During the field trip your students will see how careful research has helped design the campaign to develop smart drivers. Your students can be part of this process by surveying drivers from their own community. The results of these surveys will be analysed during the field trip.
- Take a look at how to complete this survey and follow the link to the online survey which your students can use to survey drivers.
4. Ask-an-Expert Web Board
- Once your class has read the Smart Motorways background readings, students are welcome to ask questions on the Ask-an-Expert Web Board.
- Students should read 'Guidelines for using Ask-an-Expert' before posting questions. Students don't need to register when posting questions.
5. Pre-test self-assessment
- The pre-test is an opportunity to find out more about what your students know before the Smart Motorways field trip.
- The link for the post test will be available after the field trip. Email email@example.com to request your class results.
6. Your suggestions
- Do you have suggestions for the Smart Motorways field trip website? Maybe you would like a video made on a specific topic or a career for your students.
- Email Shelley the LEARNZ Teacher if you have a request for content such as field trip videos, audioconferences, diaries or photos.
7. Encouraging Parental Involvement: Home-School partnerships
- Teachers, you can communicate with parents about supporting your students' learning during this field trip. Find out how and get the text for a letter or email home.
8. Twitter updates
- Follow me @ShelleyHersey #learnztrip on Twitter during the field trip for highlights as they happen.
9. For teachers who are new to LEARNZ:
- There is no prescribed way of using a LEARNZ virtual field trip.
- Curriculum links are available for you to check and see how the field trip relates to your class programme.
- Use your teacher access login (username and password) if you use the site for planning purposes.
- Give the class login (username and password you set up for them in MyLEARNZ) to your students to use.
- For help with login procedures see login explained and/or call 0800 22 55 53.
- There is a planning sequence in the Resources section under the heading Contributions. This short term lesson sequence makes use of all field trip components for a virtual field trip.
- The Prepare students section of the Smart Motorways site ensures your students are ready when the field trip gets under way.
- The background pages give an overall idea of the topic and can be used to generate further inquiry. The activities consolidate new learning and encourage deeper thinking.
- During the field trip your class can follow the action in my daily diary, watch the videos, and ask questions or listen during live audioconferences with our experts. Combined with the background readings, the activities and Ask-an-Expert, these components are powerful mediums for inquiry learning.
I look forward to you joining us on the second and final Smart Motorways virtual field trip.
Ka kite anō,
LEARNZ Field Trip Teacher.