Smart Motorways Newsletter 3 for teachers
Kia ora koutou, Andrew here,
It is great to have you on board for the Smart Motorways field trip to Wellington. Egbert the LEARNZ ambassador and I are all set to go. I am sure you and your students are looking forward to seeing how New Zealand’s first smart motorway is progressing. This trip is supported by NZTA (The NZ Transport Agency). See previous newsletters from this field trip.
Make sure students have the field trip link http://www.learnz.org.nz/smartmotorways153
1. Key dates and times
- Monday 24 August - check devices, field trip web site, data projector, printer
- Tuesday 25 August - Virtual Field Trip to Auckland gets under way. First audioconference at 2.15pm.
- Tuesday 25 August - Read Andrew's travel diary and look at the images.
- Friday 18 September at 4pm. Teachers submitting evaluations by this time and day are eligible for the prize draw.
2. Enhanced Audioconferences and Adobe Connect
- Check the Audioconference page which has links to all aspects of the audioconferences, including the timetable, the questions, an audioconference activity and recordings.
- Audioconference summaries can be emailed to email@example.com.
- Listening (unbooked) Schools - Your class can listen to the first formal part of audioconferences with added visual material in the LEARNZ Adobe Connect meeting room and type questions in the second informal part.
- Speaking (booked) Schools - If other students are listening to the audioconference in the LEARNZ Adobe Connect meeting room ensure they are using headphones or are in a different room.
- Adobe Connect - Throughout the Smart Motorways field trip, the LEARNZ Adobe Connect meeting room will operate for approximately 40 minutes - 20 minutes formal then 20 minutes less formal.
- While the formal questions from booked schools are answered aloud, the LEARNZ Adobe Connect meeting room will include related visuals and summaries of answers.
- New: After the formal audioconference session there are opportunities for your students to informally ask extra questions
- Look out for an email invitation within the next few days that includes instructions and the link.
- Find out more about LEARNZ on Adobe Connect in LEARNZ support.
3. Student self-assessment forms
- Recently teachers of classes enrolled in this field trip should have received a personal invitation by email which explains the new self-assessment forms for students, that we are trialling.
- The Smart Motorways pre-test form for students is at: http://goo.gl/forms/fqpfJG7Iaw
- The Smart Motorways post-test form for students is at: http://goo.gl/forms/1NcfhlMtQM
- You need to make up a code and tell all your students to enter it so we can identify our class submissions and return them to you.
- Rationale and privacy is explained in the generic copy at http://www.learnz.org.nz/support/student-self-assessment
- Get the students primed and ready to learn by doing the activities for this Smart Motorways site.
- Take a look at the planning sequence in the Resources section - good for helping you keep your class on track during the field trip.
- With the class username and password that you set up for them on MyLEARNZ, students can share their learning at home with family - more.
5. Twitter updates
- Follow me @andrewpenny01 #learnztrip on Twitter during the field trip for highlights as they happen.
- During the field trip, videos with captions are uploaded to the website each morning.
- The first videos (from Tuesday) will be online on Wednesday morning.
7. NEW! Student voice on background pages
- On each field trip background page there is now an opportunity for students to add comments about observations and wonderings.
- Comments are moderated but teachers are expected to manage the way their students use this space. Your school's Internet Use Policy should govern the way students behave online.
- If you have questions regarding the field trip please use the NZ Teacher Freephone 0800 22 55 53, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you all soon,
LEARNZ Field Trip Teacher