Hauora - well-being
Hauora involves the physical, mental and emotional, social and spiritual parts of health. When you go on an expedition such as a waka voyage you are able to develop all of these areas.
Taha tinana - Physical well-being
- physical fitness, strength, flexibility and endurance
- agility, co-ordination and balance
- new or better skills
- knowing physical limits.
Taha hinengaro - Mental and emotional well-being
- self confidence
- decision-making skills
- working towards a goal
- coping with difficult situations
- managing risks
- survival skills.
Taha whānau - Social well-being
- meeting people and making friends
- co-operative skills
- working together as a team
- encouraging other people to give things a go.
Taha wairua - Spiritual well-being
- getting close to nature and seeing it at its best
- learning about the environment
- seeing why the environment is worth looking after
- connecting with culture.