Each day of the field trip, the LEARNZ Team shoot, edit and upload curriculum-rich videos which help students to feel right up close to the action.
For help and more information about LEARNZ videos, go to Help with Videos in the LEARNZ Support section.
Video question sheet - Word (43k) | PDF (192k) to use for each video (based on SOLO Taxonomy). This sheet can be used with one, or all of the videos.
Tuesday 4 August
1. Alice and the turnaround 79Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
Come and see how much progress Alice the Tunnel Boring Machine has made since the first field trip and find out how she was turned around to start the second tunnel.
2. Managing water on site 74 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
Meet Rachel Blake, an Environmental Manager and see how water is treated on site so it is safe to release in to waterways.
3. Looking after the neighbours 43 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
Discover how activities on the construction site can be managed so they don't disrupt the locals.
4. Building roads 64Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
There is more than meets the eye to building a road, find out more about the art of road building from engineer Ben Parsonage.
5. And playgrounds too! 50Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo.
NZTA doesn't want to just build a road they want to leave behind better places and spaces for people living in the area. See how a playground has been designed for the local community.
Wednesday 5 August
1. Columns and Crossheads 53 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo
Meet Alison Craigie, a site engineer, who has been working on the Great North Road Interchange and walk down to an area where you can see columns and crossheads being constructed.
2. Constructing the Decks 54 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo
Walk up on to the decks that will form the road surface of the ramps on the Great North Road Interchange and talk to Kent about how these decks are built.
3. Large Scale Construction Challenges 51 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo
Find out about how the work on New Zealand's largest road project is organised and how people are working together to overcome challenges.
4. Waterview Connection Archaeology 58 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo
Discover a special part of the Waterview Connection construction site and the historical treasures that have been found here.
Thursday 6 August
1. Meet Dennis 47 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo
Climb up to meet Dennis the gantry crane and find out how he came to be called Dennis and what work he does on site.
2. How Dennis Works 47 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo
Talk to Section Engineer James Chamberlin to find out how Dennis works.
3. Why Dennis? 26 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo
Dennis is the only gantry crane of its kind in New Zealand; discover why Dennis is being used for this project rather than a normal crane.
4. Safety at Heights 57 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo
Meet Dave Young, the Health and Safety Manager for the northern area, to find out how to stay safe when working high above a motorway.
5. Field Trip Summary 32 Mb mp4 file or watch on Vimeo
Shelley summarises the week at Waterview. Take some time to reflect on what you have learnt during the field trip.