Antarctica Newsletter 2 for teachers
Tēnā koutou Shelley here,
The Antarctica field trip to Scott Base takes place in less than two weeks (23-29 November). Things to do from this newsletter - (previous field trip newsletters can be read here).
- Find out more about how to best utilise this field trip by listening to a recording of the teacher-only PLD webinar for Antarctica
- book your web conference now to secure a time that suits your class
- sign up your ambassador for this field trip through MyLEARNZ
- continue to prepare for your students' participation in the field trip by working with the background readings and completing the activities
- prepare your class to put questions to experts and listen to a live web conference.
1. Enrol all your classes
- Please enrol all the classes you are taking on this field trip; this enables us to report accurately to our supporters, continue to offer LEARNZ free of charge and it helps us to support you and your students.
2. Web conferences
- Personalise the field trip for your students by taking part in a live web conference. During web conferences students will be able to put questions to experts who are on location.
- One web conference will be held each school day on 23-29 November, divided into a formal first part and an informal second part.
- Details about connecting to web conferences are in your MyLEARNZ control panel.
- Check the web conference topics on the timetable and book your web conference now by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Running alongside the 15-20 minute formal, structured live web conference is the associated visual support like photos and summaries of answers in the LEARNZ Adobe Connect room.
- After the formal web conference the meeting room will remain open to allow you and your students to type extra questions in the chat pod and have them answered, live.
- The platform is easy to use and is the same as for the LEARNZ PD sessions.
3. Pre-test self-assessment
- The pre-test is an opportunity to find out more about what your students know before the Antarctica field trip.
- The link for the post test will be available after the field trip. Email email@example.com to request your class results.
4. Your suggestions
- Do you have suggestions for the Antarctica field trip website? Maybe you would like a video made on a specific topic or a career for your students.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org the LEARNZ Teacher if you have a request for content such as field trip videos, web conferences, diaries or photos.
5. Encouraging Parental Involvement: Home-School partnerships
- Teachers, you can communicate with parents about supporting your students' learning during this field trip. Find out how and get the text for a letter or email home.
6. Twitter updates
- Follow me @ShelleyHersey #learnztrip on Twitter during the field trip for highlights as they happen.
7. For teachers who are new to LEARNZ:
- There is no prescribed way of using a LEARNZ virtual field trip.
- Curriculum links are available for you to check and see how the field trip relates to your class programme.
- Use your teacher login to access the web conference section.
- Give the class login to your students (username and password you set up for them in MyLEARNZ) so they can access the web conferences.
- For help with login procedures see login explained.
- There is a planning sequence in the Resources section under the heading Contributions. This short-term lesson sequence makes use of all field trip components for a virtual field trip.
- The Prepare students section of the Antarctica site ensures your students are ready when the field trip gets under way.
- The background pages give an overall idea of the topic and can be used to generate further inquiry. The activities consolidate new learning and encourage deeper thinking.
- During the field trip your class can follow the action in my daily diary, watch the videos, and ask questions or listen during live web conferences with our experts. Combined with the background readings and the activities, these components are powerful mediums for inquiry learning.
I look forward to you joining us on the Antarctica virtual field trip.
Ka kite anō,
LEARNZ Field Trip Teacher.