Waterview Connection 2 Newsletter 3 for teachers
Kia ora koutou, Shelley here
It is great to have you on board for the second Waterview Connection trip to Auckland. Alvin the LEARNZ ambassador and I are all set to go. I am sure you and your students are looking forward to seeing how New Zealand’s biggest road project is progressing. This trip is supported by NZTA (The NZ Transport Agency). See previous newsletters from this field trip.
Make sure students have the field trip link http://www.learnz.org.nz/waterviewconnection153
1. Key dates and times
- Monday 3 August - check devices, field trip web site, data projector, printer
- Tuesday 4 August - Virtual Field Trip to Auckland gets under way. First audioconference at 9.15am on Tuesday.
- Tuesday 4 August - Read Shelley's first diary and look at the images.
- Monday 31 August at 4pm. Teachers submitting evaluations by this time and day are eligible for the prize draw.
2. Enhanced Audioconferences and Adobe Connect
- Check the Audioconference page which has links to all aspects of the audioconferences, including the timetable, the questions, an audioconference activity and recordings.
- Audioconference summaries can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Listening Schools - Your class can listen to audioconferences with added visual material in the LEARNZ Adobe Connect meeting room
- Speaking schools - Press the mute button to un-mute your phone so you can talk and then press the mute button again as soon as you are finished speaking.
- Speaking Schools - If other students are listening to the audioconference in the Adobe Connect meeting room ensure they are using headphones or are in a different room.
- Adobe Connect - Throughout the Waterview Connection field trip, the LEARNZ Adobe Connect meeting room will operate from 9.15am to 10.15am.
- While the formal questions from booked schools are answered, the LEARNZ Adobe Connect meeting room will include related visuals and summaries of answers.
- New: After the formal audioconference session there are opportunities for students ask extra questions
- Look out for an email invitation within the next few days that includes instructions and the link.
- Find out more about LEARNZ on Adobe Connect in LEARNZ support.
3. Student self-assessment forms
- Recently teachers of classes enrolled in this field trip should have received a personal invitation by email that explains the new self-assessment forms for students, that we are trialling.
- The Waterview Connection pre-test form for students is at: http://goo.gl/forms/SYK1DOUwXZ
- The Waterview Connection post-test form for students is at: http://goo.gl/forms/yFJDiOAio2
- You need to make up a code and tell all your students to enter it so we can identify our class submissions and return them to you.
- Rationale and privacy is explained in the generic copy at http://www.learnz.org.nz/support/student-self-assessment
- Get the students primed and ready to learn by doing the activities for this Waterview Connection site.
- Take a look at the planning sequence in the Resources section - good for helping you keep your class on track during the field trip.
- With the class username and password that you set up for them on MyLEARNZ, students can share their learning at home with family - more.
5. Twitter updates
Follow me @ShelleyHersey #learnztrip on Twitter during the field trip for highlights as they happen. Get involved and I’ll catch you in the Twittersphere!
- During the field trip, videos with captions are uploaded to the website each morning.
- The first videos (from Tuesday) will be online on Wednesday morning.
7. Web board
- During the field trip students from your class can add their questions to the Waterview Connection Ask-an-Expert Web Board.
- The Ask-an-Expert Web Board will remain active for 4 weeks following the trip and then it will be placed on the Waterview Connection Website under a new link called 'Questions-Answers'.
- Teachers are expected to manage the way their students use Ask-an-Expert. Your school's Internet Use Policy should govern the way students behave online.
If you have questions regarding the field trip please us the NZ Teacher Freephone 0800 22 55 53, or email email@example.com.
See you all soon,
LEARNZ Field Trip Teacher