Web conferences with schools are hosted live from the field by the LEARNZ Teacher and are coordinated by the LEARNZ Office.
To book as a speaking school, email Shelley the LEARNZ Teacher firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Web conference date & time
||Location; Where are you?
|Tuesday 3 March 9:15am
||The importance of marine ecosystems and how they work
|Owairoa School, Year 4. Scroll down for questions.
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/395041909 (36 minutes). The passcode is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ.
|Wednesday 4 March 9:15am
||Ecosystem Based Management, restoration and kaitiakitanga
|Brooklyn School, Year 5-6. Scroll down for questions.
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/395299381 (25 minutes). The passcode is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ.
|Thursday 5 March 9:15am
||Sustainable Seas Challenge and the technology used to monitor marine ecosystems
|Te Rerenga School, Year 7-8. Scroll down for questions.
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/395572982 (40 minutes). The passcode is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ.
- Web conference activity for students: Students can work on this activity while they listen to live or recorded web conferences - Word (25k) | PDF (167k) | Google Doc. Activity notes could be shared to help put together a class web conference summary.
- Create a web conference summary. Making a class summary of a web conference is a great way of reviewing the information your students heard. Feel free to create your own template or use the webconference summary sheet - Word (29k) | PDF (114k) | Google doc. We'd love to share your ideas so please send your class summary to email@example.com.
- Find out more about using LEARNZ.
Questions from Owairoa School answered in Web Conference #1
- What are some species that live in Ōhiwa Harbour?
- Where does the fresh water that enters the harbour come from?
- How do animals live in estuaries if they consist of salt and fresh water?
- What are the non-living elements of the harbour ecosystem?
- What are the producers, consumers, decomposers, and inorganic matter in the harbour?
- How are humans harming the ecosystem?
- What effect is nearby farming having?
- What would happen if the mussels disappeared?
- How can we prevent sedimentation?
- What is the current health of Ōhiwa Harbour?
Questions from other schools answered in Web Conference #1
- What are fiords? (Te Ngaere R7 Pamapuria)
- How do we stop over-fishing? (Alex R7 Pamapuria)
- Can you explain what sedimentation is? (Alex R7 Pamapuria)
- What would happen without fish? stjosephsTakahe
- Is Ohiwa Harbour protected? (Lauvale R7 Pamapuria)
- How many plastic bags are going into the ocean? (Jack R7 Pamapuria)
- Do starfish help clean the ecosystem too? (Ellie Te Rerenga School)
- If we recorded all of the connections for the marine ecosystems what would it look like? (R7 Pamapuria)
- How can we help to stop the pollution? Baxter Te Rerenga School
- What are the areas the marine environment can be divided into? (CB R7 Pamapuria)
- What is an estuary? (Lauvale R7 Pamapuria)
- Other than mussels, what other species of sea creature filter water? (Alex R7 Pamapuria)
- In the harbour behind you, do other species of sharks come in? (Solomon Te Rerenga School)
- What is the local food chain? (Manawa R7 Pamapuria)
Questions from Brooklyn School answered in Web Conference #2
- Is the Rena oil spill still affecting the wildlife in New Zealand? Jack
- We are more aware that plastic is polluting our oceans, is what we are doing making a difference? Jordan
- Are there more whale standings happening and are we, as humans making that happen? Toby
- Where is the place whale strandings are happening the most and why do you think this is? Jai
- Which animal species do you notice the most is declining? Leroy
- What evidence do you have that pollution is affecting the animals in New Zealand oceans? Emmelia
- How much of our oceans are still unexplored and how many species do you think there may be undiscovered? Asher
- Can you tell us more about sea weed, what it's made of and how important it is to the food chain? Petra
- How many species of fish are there around New Zealand? Kayden
- Are boats affecting New Zealand's wildlife and if so how? Zoe
Questions from other schools answered in Web Conference #2
- Do all the boats disturb the species in the harbour? Josh, Te Rerenga School
- What is the most endangered sea species in Aotearoa - Isabella, Greerton Village School
- How would the harbour cope if one vital species like mussels died out? Eden, Te Rerenga School
- If you were able to change something that is happeing to our moana, what would it be? Isabella, Te Rerenga School
- Are marinas and moorings and anchors bad, do they harm our sea life? Stina, Te Rerenga School
Questions from Te Rerenga School answered in Web Conference #3
- Are there still problems and threats within our marine reserves? Ben
- Have there been any noticeable effects from climate change in and around the harbour? Katie
- How many fish, for example snapper, would be a sustainable recreational limit and should there also be a size limit for the big snapper, so fish bigger than 50cm also have to be let go? Charlie
- If there were an increasing number of sharks in the harbour, would that be good or bad? Elijah
- What new ideas do you have for how to protect marine areas, for example, should New Zealand have more marine reserves? Meg
- Are there mangroves within the harbour? What do they do within the ecosystem? Stina
- Our school is by the ocean on the Coromandel Peninsula and there are a lot of pine forests close by. What problems are caused in the ocean when the trees are cleared and then we have a lot of rain? Grace
- When it is low tide, do the ika stay in the harbour or do they move about with the tide? Angie
- The mussels are very important, so are the sea stars that eat them good or bad and why have the numbers of the eleven-armed sea star increased so much? Seth
- Are there any examples near the Ōhiwa Harbour where an ecosystem has reached its tipping point and what were the consequences? Tobias
Questions from other schools answered in Web Conference #3
- Can you please explain how a crab breathes underwater? Keera, Greerton Village School
- What is the worst human impact we are having on the ocean? Lexie, St Josephs Queenstown
- Have you found any fossils in the ocean? Leilani, Greerton Village School
- What impact would the megalodon have on the ocean ecosystem if it was still alive? Harry, St Josephs Queenstown
- Would there be a difference if there was no algae in the ocean? Zofia, St Josephs Queenstown.