Web conferences with schools are hosted live from the field by the LEARNZ Teacher and are coordinated by the LEARNZ Office. More about web conferences.
To book as a speaking school, email andrew the LEARNZ Teacher firstname.lastname@example.org.
NB: Times are a guide only - feel free to request a time more suitable for your class timetable.
|Web conference date
|#1 Tuesday 19 March
||Central Plains Water Sheffield storage pond
||Water resources in New Zealand used for irrigation. Water management and sustainability.
||Fiona Crombie, Elizabeth Soal and John Suncknell
||Mt Hutt College
||Replay the 47-minute recording at https://vimeo.com/325079873 (the password is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ).
|#2 Wednesday 20 March
||Farm near Sheffield
||How irrigation systems work, and how technology is improving irrigation.
||Sancta Maria Primary School
||Replay the 44-minute recording at https://vimeo.com/325309929 (the password is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ).
|#3 Thursday 21 March
||Farmlands - Rolleston Izone
||The economic and social benefits of irrigation.
||No speaking school - all schools welcome to listen and post questions in the chat area.
||Replay the 29-minute recording at https://vimeo.com/325526112 (the password is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ).
Questions for Web Conferences
Tuesday 20 March - Mt Hutt College, Year 8
- What are the reasons for our waterways being polluted and how is this being fixed? Ruben
- How big of a problem are poisonous algae and is it possible to get rid of them altogether? Jenn
- Is there a way to turn sea water into fresh water and make it usable for farming? Flynn
- What happens to all our waste water, do we reuse it? Layla
- How much do our actions impact the environment and how can we clean the water that has been impacted? Morgan
- How can we help keep our water clean? Genna
- What happens when the groundwater runs out? Toby
- Is plastic pollution a problem in our fresh waterways like it is in the ocean? Naite ("Night-ee")
- Has there always been water on Earth? If not, where did it come from? Genna
- Can NZ's waterways/environment sustain the irrigation that's needed to support our farming industry? Hugh
Wednesday 21 March - Sancta Maria Primary School, Year 5/6
- What does water have to do with our Turangawaewae? Kaya
- How is water made? Ricardo
- Why do some countries have more water than others? Mathias
- Why do we depend on water? Why do we need it?
- How does water become salty? Kendrew
- How long can we live without water? Alex
- How much water do farmers need to use? Chloe
- How can we locate groundwater? Hayley
- Can fossil water evaporate? Leonard
- How much of a problem is glyphosate in run-off water?
Thursday 22 March - various schools
- Could the storage ponds fill up with sediment from the Waimakariri River, especially after a flood?
- When did irrigation start becoming popular? - Ryan
- How reliable is the electronics that control irrigators. Are there many maintenance issues?
- Does Canterbury farming produce anything, that relies on irrigation, that is grown nowhere else in NZ and is important to world food supply?
- Do you use filters in irrigation? Jasmine
- Has New Zealand used flood irrigation? Hannah
- Why is Canterbury more irrigated than anywhere else in NZ?
- Why do places like the Waikato not have much irrigation?
- Are there new careers in water that were not around 10 or 20 years ago?