Web conferences with schools are hosted live from the field by the LEARNZ Teacher and are coordinated by the LEARNZ Office. More about web conferences.
To book as a speaking school, email Shelley the LEARNZ Teacher firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Web conference date
||Location; Where are you?
|Tuesday 2 April
||Investigating and identifying biodiversity
Brad and Nancy
|North Street School, Year 5
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/327823773 (37 minutes) - the password is on the left in your teacher's MyLEARNZ.
|Wednesday 3 April
||Completing a Bioblitz and monitoring biodiversity
Ian and Nancy
|West Park School, Year 2-6
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/328058372 (45 minutes) - the password is on the left in your teacher's MyLEARNZ.
|Thursday 4 April
Damien and Nancy
|Otatara School, Year 3-4
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/328289224 (35 minutes) - the password is on the left in your teacher's MyLEARNZ.
Questions for web conference #1 from North Street School and other NZ schools
- Charlotte. What is the weirdest bug you would find in your backyard?
- Ashton. How many species of bees are there in NZ?
- Nada - Why are some wasps pests?
- Mia. How many species of preying mantis are there?
- Logan. How many species of butterflies in NZ?
- Ashton. How many NZ ants are there?
- JJ - What does the Mt Somers weta eat?
- Josh-have you ate a bug on purpose before?
- Room 9 : How can we improve our biodiversity at our school?
- Shona: What do you think is the most interesting insect in NZ?
- Anna? What types of animals would you find in your back yard?
- Shona: We know the bullet ant has a horrible sting! What would be the most poisonous or venomous insect in NZ?
- Lachie: what NZ bugs are at the top and bottom of the food chain?
- Reanna : what is the rarest animal in NZ?
- nicb : Are there any bee species that can kill humans in NZ?
- student : what is the most harmful pest to our enviroment?
- Logun:how many native insects are there in NZ?
- Shona: What is the most common insect in NZ?
- Room 11 : Hudson : what is your favourite bug in NZ and why?
Questions for web conference #2 from West Park School
- What is the coolest name a native animal has? Dasha
- How many BioBlitz have been done in New Zealand and for how many years? Yukina and Arina
- Why are BioBlitz useful? Lulu
- How many different animals do you think a BioBlitz in Ō Tū Wharekai will find? Dasha
- When is the best time of the year to do a BioBlitz and why? Lulu
- How do you know if an animal is a native when you see it? Kahukura
- How long can it take to find an animal in the BioBlitz? Do they move during it?
- Do you think you would find some of the same animals and plants if you did a BioBlitz here in Johnsonville?
- Do you repeat a BioBlitz to see if it things have changed?
Questions for web conference #3 from Otatara School
- What is your favourite part of the BioBlitz? (Ciara)
- What predators do ants have (Bayley)
- Which animal found on the BioBlitz is likely to survive the longest? (Nico)
- If you stood still for an hour how many birds would you see? (Isla)
- How many different types of toadstools and mushrooms are there? (Maggie)
- Which animals are the rarest on the BioBlitz? (Elliot)
- What are the lines underneath the mushrooms? (Sadie)
- How long does a BioBlitz take? Do you stay out camping overnight? (Grace and Danny)
- How long does it take to find something on a BioBlitz? (Payton)