Web conferences with schools are hosted live from the field by the LEARNZ Teacher and are coordinated by the LEARNZ Office. More about web conferences.
To book as a speaking school, email andrew the LEARNZ Teacher email@example.com.
NB: Times are a guide only - feel free to request a time more suitable for your class timetable.
|Web conference date
||Location; Where are you?
|#1 Tuesday 8 May
||Kauri as a taonga - about kauri dieback and kauri kaitiaki.
||Tom Donovan - DOC Dargaville
||Titirangi School (scroll down for questions)
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/268489654 (47 minutes - the password for accessing web conference recordings is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ).
|#2 Wednesday 9 May
||Science of the disease - detecting kauri dieback, building knowledge and tools to manage kauri dieback.
||Travis Ashcroft & Kim Brown
||Pukekohe Intermediate (scroll down for questions)
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/268690446 (36 minutes - the password for accessing web conference recordings is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ).
|#3 Thursday10 May
||Changing behaviours - tools to control humans spreading kauri dieback, public messaging.
||Whangārei Heads School (scroll down for questions)
|| Replay at https://vimeo.com/268881954 (39 minutes - the password for accessing web conference recordings is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ).
Questions for web conference #1 on Tuesday 8 May at 9:15am
Titirangi School – Year 6
- How can such a small microbe kill such a huge tree?
- Why doesn’t the disease affect other trees?
- How does the kauri try to protect itself from the disease?
- We used the spray at Camp Adair in the Hunua Ranges. What is in the spray and how do we know it works?
- We read the microbe can spread kauri dieback through soil and water, but not air. Can you explain how it is carried in water?
- How do you know how many people are using the sprays properly? We heard it might only be 40-60%.
- Why should we spray on the way in and on the way out?
- Are any animals spreading kauri dieback, or affecting kauri in any way?
- We live in the Waitākere Ranges. Do you think closing the tracks will affect tourism?
- How are the tracks being changed so they can re-open and keep kauri safe?
Questions for web conference #2 on Wednesday 9 May at 9:15am
Pukekohe Intermediate – Year 7/8
- When you clean your shoes on the spiky things, what do you do with them once they have the disease on it? Daniel
- Why does kauri dieback only affect kauri trees? Daniel
- How has kauri dieback changed from when it was first discovered to now? Kian
- Can the kauri tree survive the disease once it is infected? If so how? Jacob
- How does kauri dieback damage the small tubes that carries nutrients within the tree? Jing
- How does kauri dieback survive if New Zealand's soil is not the right temperature? Stefan
- Does kauri dieback affect us as humans? If so, how and if not, why? Stefan
- Why is kauri dieback so spreadable in so many ways? Stefan
- What is in the spray that you put on your shoes and what exactly does it do to help? Charlize
- Are there any other environmental threats killing our other natives trees? If so, how is that affecting our ecosystem? Vadim
Questions for web conference #3 on Thursday 10 May at 9:15am
Whangārei Heads – Year 5/6
- How many trees has the disease contaminated? How many are in good condition? Zara
- Is the disease only transferred through the soil? Otis
- Are humans affected by this disease? Bruno
- Is there the chance that kauri dieback can travel to another country? Izzy
- Can you tell if you are carrying the disease on your footwear? Bri
- What substances could be placed on top to protect the roots eg unaffected soil, gravel? Lottie
- Would an unlimited amount of money make a difference to this problem? Deacon
- Can kauri dieback be spread to other species of trees? Ella
- Could a laser type technology be better at detecting contaminated soil and could this help with the spread? Is there some technology like this available or has been trialled? Quinn
- What can we as children invent to help the kauri tree? How do you think we could solve this problem? Josh