These activities test domain knowledge from the Background pages and assist students to develop higher levels of inquiry.
Activity 1 - New Zealand Roads
Activity 2 - The Problem with Congestion
Activity 3 - A Smarter Motorway
Activity 4 - What is a Smart Motorway?
Activity 5 - Features of the Smart Motorway
Activity 6 - Benefits of a Smart Motorway
Activity 7 - The Hub of the Smart Motorway
Activity 8 - Smart Motorways Field Trip Update
More things to try
- Carry out a survey to learn more about driver behaviour and educating drivers about the new smart motorway.
Take a look at how to complete this survey and follow the link to the online survey which students can use to survey drivers.
- diaries and journals - keep your own field trip diary - Word (13k) | PDF (k) | Google doc.
- LEARNZ field trip Web Quest. This print-and-copy task helps students become familiar with the Smart Motorways website functions. It also assists students with their inquiry skills, particularly information gathering and asking good questions. Students need to have an internet connection and their class login - Word (845k) | PDF (671k) | Google doc.
- field trip audioconference activity. Students can work on this activity while they listen to live or recorded audioconferences - Word (25k) | PDF (167k) | Google doc. Notes from these pages could be shared to help put together the class audioconference summary.
- A simple activity for students to build connections between words and improve their vocabulary. Students could enter words from the field trip glossary into http://graphwords.com/.