The next evolution of roads is coming
As with many things we use in our lives, roads are becoming smarter. NZTA is currently working on a project to make New Zealand’s first smart motorway.
What are the project’s main objectives?
The project is part of the NZTA’s upgrade of the Ngauranga Gorge to Aotea Quay part of Wellington’s motorway. It aims to:
- reduce congestion
- improve travel times
- improve safety.
What has been the issue?
Ngauranga Gorge to Aotea Quay is the busiest road in the Wellington region. During peak times:
- travel times are much longer
- drivers can count on how long their trip will take them only half of the time.
What will the changes be?
The key changes will be:
- introducing the ‘smart motorway’ system which involves improving the ATMS (active traffic management system)
- adding an extra lane in both directions
- replacing the median barrier
- widening the State Highway 2 off-ramp at Ngauranga
- lengthening the existing sign gantries and adding a number of new ones
- building a new southbound on-ramp for emergency services at Ngauranga.