You can help
Everyone travelling by boat to Great Mercury Island needs to make sure they’re not carrying any stowaways including mice, rats, Argentine ants, rainbow skinks, and cats.
Tips to help keep boats free of pests:
- Keep your boat tidy and clean.
- Don't leave rubbish or fish scraps on board.
- Before departure, inspect your boat for signs of rats and mice, for example chewed wiring or holes in gear or bags, and for insects (especially ants).
- Maintain pest control on board larger vessels. Use glue boards for insects, and traps or bait stations for rodents.
- All food should be packed in sealed containers. Don't just use open shopping bags or cardboard boxes as pests can sometimes hide in these.
- Do your loading in daylight hours. Most pests are active at night and will come aboard then.
- Vessels should stay anchored offshore except for embarking and disembarking passengers.
These steps will help keep the Mercury Islands pest-free and could also save you from pest damage on board your boat.
- The threat of Argentine ants is a video showing how this invasive species can impact wildlife on Ahuahu Great Mercury Island.