Questions from schools about getting outdoors safely, answered by Karl from Toitu te Whenua - Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) and Bevan from New Zealand Mountain Safety Council.
- What has been your favourite experience in the outdoors?
- Do people still use paper maps in the outdoors? Why?
- How has digital location technology helped us in the outdoors?
- Have you ever had a potentially tricky experience in the outdoors - what equipment or knowledge were you glad you had?
- If I am a young person wanting to get started in the outdoors, what would you advise?
- If I don't have much money, what outdoor gear do you recommend I should get first - my guess is a good raincoat
- How does Aotearoa's location in the world as a mid-latitide island make us need to think differently in the outdoors compared to other places (e.g. continents like North America, Europe, Australia)?
- What are some of your favourite websites or apps to help us in the outdoors e.g. places to go, what gear to take, how to keep safe?
Meet Bevan from the Mountain Safety Council
Meet Karl from Toitū te Whenua, Land Information New Zealand