Find out about our expert who knows the stories behind the place names of Te Wai Pounamu, Aotearoa.
Play the recording of the web conference between David, Upoko - Te Rūnanga o Moeraki - Ngāi Tahu, and Duvauchelle School (on Banks Peninsula, east of Christchurch).
The following questions are answered in the podcast above:
- What does the place called Pohatu (related to penguins) mean?
- Are there any other names for Akaroa?
- How did Robinsons bay get its name?
- Why are there so many pukekos in Robinsons Bay?
- Why is Takamatua called Takamatua?
- How did Barry's Bay get its name?
- Why was Duvauchelle called Kaitouna?
- Are there any other Māori names for Duvauchelle?
- Please tell us more about Bossu, which is a big lump in the hill.
- How did Wainui get its Maori name?
- Why is Wakaroa the Maori name for Pigeon Bay?
- Does Pigeon Bay have any more Māori names besides Whakaroa?