Taking part in an web conference as a Booked Speaking School or Unbooked Text-chatting School is easy, fun and free. To make sure you are familiar with what to do, here are some tips.
Prior to the web conference:
- Make sure the equipment is setup how it will be on the day and that you know how to operate it.
In preparation for the web conference check that:
- you have a quiet room
- you have copies of the web conference Summary Sheet
- you have copies of the web conference questions for each student or display the questions using a data projector or put them in a class folder for sharing
- your laptop is setup with the free web conferencing software add-in
- your class is comfortably seated
- your students know what is expected of them
- all students are close to and approximately the same distance from the laptop or computer
- you and your dstudents have reviewed your school's Internet Use Policy so students are reminded how to behave online
During your web conference:
Keep students on task during the web conference by:
- Giving students a web conference Summary Sheet
- Having resources for students to look at eg posters, books and brochures or a computer screen with relevant images from the website
- Drawing a mind-map on paper or a whiteboard as it unfolds
Speaking Schools - these things help the web conference run smoothly:
- Place your laptop on a hard reflective surface
- When not speaking press the mute button on your screen/device. This is important as it prevents your background noise from being broadcast.
- When asking a question, press the mute button again so your device is no longer muted
- Speak at your normal pitch and volume
- Direct your voice towards the microphone
- Do not hold a book or paper between you and the microphone when asking a question
- Always identify yourself by firstname only when speaking. “Hi I'm Tom. My question is...". Remember people at other sites cannot see who you are, your facial expressions or your surroundings
- Put the next speaking students close to the laptop so they are right ready to ask their question when prompted
After the web conference:
- Take a few minutes to respond to questions, ideas and comments. Check over the key ideas from the web conference on your whiteboard.
- You may want to listen to the web conference again from the website
- Create a class summary of the web conference and email it to email@example.com to be put on the field trip website