What to expect when you sign up to a LEARNZ Online Field Trip: planning suggestions for teachers
On the day that all the material is published for a LEARNZ trip, the first email is sent to signed-up teachers suggesting how they could use the website and other support material.
In addition to the first email which contains all the web links, the following generalised information will help teachers to plan, especially for those new to LEARNZ. Some teachers use all these components, in order, while others cherry-pick the parts that are most relevant to their learners. It’s up to you.
- Give your learners the link to the quick pre-learning questionnaire (the link will be in the first email to signed-up teachers) - make sure you/they include your class/school name so we can identify your results and send them to you.
- Watch the intro video - play it to your learning group. It sets the scene, showing how the trip fits into big-picture ideas, it points out the highlights and builds anticipation to help motivate learners.
- Read or listen to the Discover pages. These reading pages written by LEARNZ educators, help build domain knowledge while introducing English vocabulary and Māori keywords.
- Take the time-based interactive quizzes (some schools split their classes into teams and compete).
- Go on the immersive Google Earth tour, so learners feel like they are on a journey.
- Watch the field trip videos in the GE tour or watch them separately.
- Email us to take part in a live web conference where your learners can put questions directly to our experts and have them answered straight away. You will be supported by email to help you take part, if needed. Anyone signed up will be notified about replaying the recording(s).
- Give your learners the link to the post-learning questionnaire (the link will be in a subsequent email sent to signed-up teachers) - make sure you/they include your class/school name so we can identify your results and send them to you.
- As the teacher, fill out the online field trip evaluation (the link will be in one of the later emails sent to signed-up teachers).
- Present your learning in a syndicate or school-wide assembly.
To get a sense of a field trip now, use the above journey to step through a completed field trip such as Backyard Biodiversity.
Make sure you subscribe to LEARNZ news so you know which trips are coming up next.