Use this video question template Word (31k) | PDF (217k) | Google doc to think more about each video (based on SOLO Taxonomy).
Weather in Aotearoa
Take a look around the MetService office in Wellington and talk to Lisa a meteorologist about why Aotearoa has such changeable weather.
- How would you describe weather patterns for your local area?
- What technology do you use to find out what your daily weather will be?
Severe Weather Warnings
Enter the studio at MetService to see how severe weather warnings are shared with the public and when the three different levels of warning are used.
- How can you find out about weather warnings?
- What can you do to prepare for severe weather in the future?
Floods in Aotearoa
Meet James who is an engineer working for the Greater Wellington Regional Council and find out about the different types of flooding in Aotearoa. Learn about the history of flooding of Te Awa Kairangi the Hutt River.
- What types of flooding can happen in your local area?
- Have there been any major floods in your region and if so, what were the impacts?
Managing Flood Impacts
Discover the different methods that councils can use to manage flood hazards and reduce flood impacts on local communities.
- How do councils manage rivers to reduce flood impacts?
- What impact do you think climate change will have on flood risk in your area?
Flood Hazard Mapping
See how flood maps and computer modelling can help councils to identify flood prone land and create flood hazard maps to share with the public.
- Look up your local council web site to see if there are flood hazard maps for your area.
- How does your council manage these flood zones?
Flooding Scenario at WREMO
Discover what happens at the Hutt City Emergency Operations Centre during a flood event and how a response is coordinated.
- Where is your local civil defence centre?
- Where would you go if you needed to evacuate?
Get Ready for Floods
Prepare a plan and emergency supplies to help you get through an emergency event such as a flood.
- What emergency supplies would you include in a grab bag?
- Organise your own emergency supplies with your whanau.
Meet Alice from the National Emergency Management Agency at Parliament in Wellington. See how a national response to a large natural hazard is coordinated.
- Find out about the national emergencies that have happened in the last 10 years.
- What can we learn from these events?
Keep Safe from Floods
See how even small streams can create problems during a flood and how these hazards can be managed. Find out how to keep yourself safe from floods.
- When would it be useful to know about how much rain has fallen in recent hours or days and river levels?
- Where can you find this information?