Web conferences with schools are hosted live from the field by the LEARNZ Teacher and are coordinated by the LEARNZ Office. More about web conferences.
To book as a speaking school, email Shelley the LEARNZ Teacher email@example.com.
|Web conference date
||Location; Where are you?
|Wednesday 14 November
||Living and working in Antarctica
|Masterton Intermediate School, Year 7-8 and Waitetuna School, Year 6-8
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/300603234 (31 minutes - the password is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ). Scroll down for questions.
|Thursday 15 November
||The challenges of completing scientific work in Antarctica
||Glendowie School, Year 7 and Mata School Years 1-8.
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/300859861 (42 minutes - the password is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ). Scroll down for questions.
|Friday 16 November
||Sea ice microbial communities and their importance
||North Street School, Year 6
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/301075244 (29 minutes - the password is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ). Scroll down for questions.
|Monday 19 November
||How sea ice communities are monitored and why
||Paraparaumu Beach School, Year 5-6 and Waipipi School, Year 8
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/301504230 (46 minutes - the password is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ). Scroll down for questions.
|Tuesday 20 November
||Antarctic marine ecosystems and climate change
||Masterton Intermediate School, Year 7-8 and Endeavour School, Year 3-4
||Available after the live web conference.
Teachers, at the time of webconference:
- Go to the Zoom Room: https://core-ed.zoom.us/j/399587551
- Wait until the Host joins
- Introduce yourself and if you want to activate your webcam
- Mute your microphone between questions
- When prompted speaking schools can activate their microphone so students can ask their questions.
- At the end there will be time for extra questions from any listening schools which can be typed in the chat pod.
More questions for web conferences will be added as they are sent in from schools.
Questions for web conference 1
Questions from Masterton Intermediate School
- With it being so much colder in Antarctica how long did it take you to get used to the cold? Rion
- Has Antarctica always been cold and why are scientists so fascinated in developing resources on Antarctica? Bella
- How do you live in Antarctica in the winter when it is always dark? Isabel
- What temperature is it daily and how does it affect you and your work? Huw
- Is there any thermal or volcanic activity in Antarctica? Murphy
- Why did you decide to go to Antarctica and research about it? Bailey
Questions from Waitetuna School
- What animal is closest to extinction in Antarctica? Georgie
- Do you worry about earthquakes or tsunami and do you carry P.L.Bs with you? Bobby
- How long does it take to drill the ice for your experiments? Kahu
- What impact will your science experiments have on the environment? Shannon
- What food do you eat there and how long do you spend on your experiments. Hudson
- What is the weirdest animal you have seen in Antarctica? Naomi
Questions for web conference 2
Questions from Glendowie School
- What is your emergency drill when something goes wrong while in Antarctica? Connor
- What do people normally have to learn to go to Antarctica? Sofia
- What is your everyday life like? Felix
- What do you do for entertainment while in Antarctica? Micah
- How do you travel to where you need to go in Antarctica, do you use snow mobiles? Connor L
Questions from Mata School
- Why did you want to go to Antarctica?
- What do you get to do in your spare time?
- What is the difference between the Northern and Southern lights?
- How is it that there can be 24 hours of daylight in Antarctica?
- How come in summer, the temperature doesn't really get above zero degrees Celsius?
Questions for web conference 3
Questions from Nifty Nine at North Street School
- How could you test the theory that microorganisms living in sea ice have a coating to stop them from freezing? Emma
- How many microorganisms are in a raindrop? Shirley
- Are microorganisms poisonous and how long have they lived in ice for? Duran
- What happens when microorganisms die? Isobel
- Are there bugs/microorganisms in our bath or shower water? Jade
- How long have sea ice microorganisms lived for - were they around in the dinosaur ages, have these microorganisms changed over time Logun
- How do microorganisms eat food and sustain life! Caley
- Are we breathing in microorganisms and are there different types for different climates? Charlotte
- Do microorganisms exist in space? Ms Hailes
Questions for web conference 4
Questions from Paraparaumu Beach School
- What is the depth of the deepest part of the sea around Antarctica? What types of fish live at that depth?
- When did Antarctica freeze over, why and what was its original state?
- If due to Climate change, the ice melts and destroys the ecosystems of many micro organisms, what would the impact be on creatures further up the food chain and how long would it take before this impact was observed?
- Why is the water temperature warmer than the air temperature on the ice? Does the temperature vary much across the year, both water and air and are there seasons in Antarctica?
- Why is Antarctica so important to scientists and how can your research benefit people/environments in New Zealand?
- Room 4 is a food loving community, and so we were wondering what’s the food like at Scott Base and what did you have for dinner last night?
Questions from Waipipi School
- Why and how is the sea ice monitored? Allison
- What are scientists currently learning about the sea ice? Drew
- What are some interesting creatures or objects found in the sea ice? Tricia
- At what rate is the sea ice melting and how will it affect us living in New Zealand? Skye
- What impact does Antarctica have on the rest of Earth? Hayden
- How can we help stop the reduction of sea ice in Antarctica? Kaila
Questions for web conference 5
Questions from Endeavour School
- What have been your experiences in Antarctica so far?
- What made you want to go to Antarctica?
- What amazing things have you seen there, like plants or animals?
- Has anything been scary there and if yes, what?
- What did you need to take with you to Antarctica?
Questions from Masterton Intermediate School
- How many species of fish in Antarctica have the antifreeze gene? Ana
- Do you predict that a particular species of fish will collapse due to climate change? Ana
- What are some examples of strange looking fish in Antarctica? Ana
- What are the different ecosystems in Antarctica and what will happen if one ecosystem dies? Jack
- In Antarctica do fish store food in their body? Abby