Web conferences with schools are hosted live from the field by the LEARNZ Teacher and are coordinated by the LEARNZ Office. More about web conferences.
To book as a speaking school, email andrew the LEARNZ Teacher email@example.com.
NB: Times are a guide only - feel free to request a time more suitable for your class timetable.
|Web conference date
||Location; Where are you?
|#1 Tuesday 26 June
||The earthquake - Finding out the geology involved in this earthquake, as well as the damage and land movement it caused.
||Dr Kate Pedley
|#2 Wednesday 27 June
||The roads - Exploring what it has taken to get damaged roads back up and running, and how people living along and around them have had to adapt.
||North Street School
|#3 Thursday 28 June
||The lessons - Dealing with the full impact of this earthquake, and how to cope with similar emergencies.
||Rachel Vaughan & Emma Duncan
||Bream Bay College
- Access to the LEARNZ Zoom Room for web conferences. Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android at https://core-ed.zoom.us/j/399587551 or iPhone one-tap: New Zealand: +6498011188,,399587551# or +6448318959,,399587551#
Questions for web conference #1 on Tuesday 26 June at 9:15am
Waipahihi School - Year 5/6
- How was the rocky seabed affected?
- Have the sea creatures changed their habitat?
- What things did you have to think about when clearing landslides? Was it dangerous?
- How would you describe what the earthquake felt like?
- Will people be able to predict when another earthquake will happen?
- Where is the safest place to be in an earthquake?
- How did people communicate after the earthquake?
- What kind of buildings were the strongest and least damaged?
- Was is hard to get food in and out of Kaikoura and why?
- Were the water and sewerage pipes damaged?
Questions for web conference #2 on Wednesday 27 June at 9:15am
North Street School - Year 6
Questions for web conference #3 on Thursday 28 June at 9:15am
Bream Bay College - Year 7
- What happened immediately after the earthquake?
- How were disabled, hospitalised and elderly looked after following the earthquake?
- How were animals cared for post quake?
- What was the process for the clean up and how was this overseen?
- How did people and the community respond after earthquake?
- What are the ongoing effects from this disaster? Financially, socially, and psychologically?
- How did this event change peoples attitudes towards being prepared for an emergency?
- Were there any suprises or unexpected outcomes following the earthquake?
- What was the biggest challenge of the earthquake recovery?
- What was the biggest success of the earthquake recovery?