You can contact LEARNZ, part of CORE Education, at:
PO Box 13 678,
Each day of the field trip, the LEARNZ Team shoot, edit and upload curriculum-rich videos which help students to feel right up close to the action.
For help and more information about LEARNZ videos, go to Help with Videos in the LEARNZ Support section.
1. Memorial Park Project Update - download or watch video (41Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
Catch up with Russell Scoones on the steps of the National War Memorial as he gives you a rundown of progress on the Memorial Park project since the last field trip in May 2014.
Next step learning: Have a look at some videos from the second Memorial Park field trip to get more of an idea of the progress that has been made since last May.
2. Drive Through the Arras Tunnel - download or watch video (35Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
It is time now to take a drive through the new Arras Tunnel.
Next step learning: Sketch part of the Arras Tunnel. Compare Arras Tunnel with other tunnels you know of.
3. New Road to Arras Tunnel - download or watch video (46Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
Site Engineer Rob Dickson explains how a whole new piece of road had to be put in place to take traffic into the tunnel.
Next step learning: Find out if a State Highway project is happening near your town http://nzta.govt.nz/network/projects/results.html.
4. Remote Traffic Operations - download or watch video (43Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
Out in Johnsonville there is a very interesting building known as TOC. Get special permission to go inside and find out all about it.
Next step learning: Find out more about TOC here http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/how-the-nzta-keeps-you-moving/docs/how....
5. Tunnel Control with Smart Software - download or watch video (56Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
It's Wayne’s World – but not as you might know it! This is more to do with clever software helping traffic operations.
Next step learning: Create a flow chart to show your understanding of how this operating system works.
1. Citizenship and the Memorial Park Project - download or watch video (37Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
Take a seat with some students from Hira School and hear what they have to say about importance of war remembrance and the building of Memorial Park.
Next step learning: Have your own discussion about the value of war remembrance. Take a look at page 3 of this NZTA Education Portal newsletter for some discussion ideas.
2. Significance of Arras Tunnel Name - download or watch video (41Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
Listen as historian Matthew Tonks explains how the Arras Tunnel got its name and its link with New Zealand soldiers who served in Europe.
Next step learning: Find out about the names of prominent buildings or structures near your place.
3. Poppies and the Arras Tunnel - download or watch video (40Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
Matthew Tonks talks about the significance of red poppies that line the Arras Tunnel walls.
Next step learning: Create some red poppy inspired artwork.
4. Preparing for Commemorations in 2015 - download or watch video (47Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
Matthew Tonks gives a rundown of the commemorative events that will take place around Wellington and the Memorial Park on Anzac Day 2015. But if you are not in Wellington don’t worry – there are plenty of events happening around the country leading up to and beyond Anzac Day that you can all be part of.
Next step learning: Visit http://ww100.govt.nz/ and http://walkingwithananzac.tumblr.com/ for great ideas on getting involved in New Zealand’s First World War centenary.
1. What Memorial Park will Look Like - download or watch video (40Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
Look at an artist’s impression of the finished product in the Memorial Park Alliance information centre with Russell Scoones.
Next step learning: Visit Park Designs & Development for more images to give you an idea of what Memorial Park will look like when it is finished.
2. Landscaping with Hard Materials - download or watch video (61Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
Russell Scoones takes you around the park construction site to look at some of the current projects under construction.
Next step learning: Investigate more about the use of concrete in construction. You might like to watch some videos from Memorial Park 2 which looks at the use of concrete during the tunnel construction phase.
3. Tree Pits - watch or download video (26Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
Michelle Knapstein talks through an area in the park currently being prepared for planting.
Next step learning: Find an area in your school that could benefit from some planting. Sketch what the planted area could look like then create some plans, including which trees you would use and maybe even include a concrete element.
4. Rain Gardens and Environmental Design - watch or download video (44Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
Michelle explains what a rain garden is and how it is helpful for the environment.
Next step learning: Investigate how new developments in your town are taking into consideration the environment within their plans.
5. Field Trip Summary - watch or download video (45Mb mp4 file) or watch on Vimeo
Andrew recaps the field trip week for Memorial Park 3.