Memorial Park 3 Newsletter 3 for teachers
Kia ora koutou, Andrew here
It is great to have you on board for the Memorial Park 3 field trip to Wellington. This trip is supported by NZTA.
Things to do from this newsletter, (previous field trip newsletters can be read here):
- check access to computers and Internet-connected devices
- if speaking in an audiconference check phone lines and speaker phone
- give students the open access field trip link http://www.learnz.org.nz/memorialpark144 plus the login that you set up for them in MyLEARNZ which is needed to acccess the audioconferences
- print audioconference questions
- remember to read Andrew's first diary on Tuesday morning
- first audioconference at 9.10am on Tuesday
- take part in the LEARNZ backchannel - more
- first videos with questions online Wednesday
- send examples of children's work to share
1. KEY DATES and TIMES
- Tuesday 11 November - Virtual Field Trip to Wellington gets under way. First audioconference at 9.10am on Tuesday.
- Tuesday 11 November - Read Andrew's first diary and look at the panorama images.
- Friday 12 December at 4pm. Teachers submitting evaluations by this time and day are eligible for the prize draw.
- Check the Audioconference page which has links to all aspects of the audioconferences.
- Students from speaking schools have been coming up with some interesting questions, which you can print off for your class to follow during the audioconference.
- The Memorial Park audioconference activity is also available for students to work on as they listen.
- You can listen live to audioconferences on the Internet or to a recording later.
- Audioconference summaries can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Listening Schools (via the internet) - Your class can listen to audioconferences as they happen via the live stream on the website.
- Speaking schools - Press the mute button to un-mute your phone so you can talk and then press the mute button again as soon as you are finished speaking.
- Speaking Schools - If other students are listening to the audioconference on the internet, ensure they are in a different room to the one being used for the audioconference.
NEW! LEARNZ Backchannel
- Throughout the Memorial Park 3 field trip, the LEARNZ backchannel will operate during live audioconferences.
- The LEARNZ backchannel will include live chat where students, or teachers on their behalf, can:
- share ideas
- ask extra questions
- answer questions
- watch related visuals
- contribute links and other examples of their classwork.
- Look out for an email invitation within the next few days that includes instructions and the link. It's an excellent opportunity, especially if you missed out on being a speaking school.
- Find out more about the LEARNZ backchannel in LEARNZ support.
- Get the students primed and ready to learn by doing the activities for this Memorial Park 3 site.
- Take a look at the planning sequence in the Resources section - good for helping you keep your class on track during the field trip.
- With the class username and password that you set up for them on MyLEARNZ, students can share their learning at home with family.
4. TWITTER UPDATES
- Follow me @andrewpenny01 #learnztrip on Twitter during the field trip for highlights as they happen.
- During the field trip, videos with captions and questions are uploaded to the website each morning.
- The first videos (from Tuesday) will be online on Wednesday morning.
- Video questions and answers are uploaded for you (the teacher) in Resources
6. WEB BOARD
- During the field trip students from your class can add their questions to the Memorial Park 3 Ask-an-Expert Web Board (in the pop-up just login as usual, click on Memorial Park and post a question).
- The Ask-an-Expert Web Board will remain active for 4 weeks following the trip and then it will be placed on the Memorial Park 3 Website under a new link called 'Questions-Answers'.
- Teachers are expected to manage the way their students use Ask-an-Expert. Your school's Internet Use Policy should govern the way students behave online.
If you have questions regarding the field trip please us the NZ Teacher Freephone 0800 22 55 53, or email email@example.com.
See you all soon,
LEARNZ Field Trip Teacher