Web conferences with schools are hosted live from the field by the LEARNZ Teacher and are coordinated by the LEARNZ Office. More about web conferences.
- Web conference activity for students: Students can work on this activity while they listen to live or recorded web conferences - PDF (167k) | Google Doc. Activity notes could be shared to help put together a class web conference summary.
- Create a web conference summary. Making a class summary of a web conference is a great way of reviewing the information your students heard. Feel free to create your own template or use the webconference summary sheet - PDF (114k) | Google doc. We'd love to share your ideas so please send your class summary to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Web conference date & time & location
|Tuesday 18 February 2020 at 2pm near Wanaka.
The Environment - tracks and trails
Collingwood Area School & Masterton Intermediate School (scroll down for questions).
|Replay at https://vimeo.com/392114792 (23 minutes). The replay passcode is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ.
|Wednesday 19 February 2020 at 9:15am near Wanaka.
||How to access private land and use tracks and trails responsibly
|Masterton Intermediate School
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/392574008 (19 minutes). The replay passcode is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ.
|Thursday 20 February 2020 at 9:15am near Wanaka.
||Planning and preparing for your own adventure and managing environmental impacts
|Masterton Intermediate School
||Replay at https://vimeo.com/392574550 (28 minutes). The replay passcode is in your teacher's MyLEARNZ.
Questions for Web conference 1 on Tuesday 18 February at 2pm
- Why are wetlands a special part of the environment? Masterton Intermediate
- Are you able to hunt in a NP and are there special times? Masterton Intermediate
- What would happen if the wetlands disappeared? Masterton Intermediate
- How many thar are in Mt Aspiring NP? Masterton Intermediate
- How many pests do you trap annually? Masterton Intermediate
- How many pests live on the mountain tops? Masterton Intermediate
- How many tracks and trails are within the Mt Aspiring National Park? and what is the environmental impact of track users on the park? Collingwood Area School
- Is the National park mostly bush or is there a lot of open tussock areas? What type of birds live in what areas? Collingwood Area School
- How many introduced predators do you come across and what methods do you use to control or keep on top of them? Collingwood Area School
- Is there any introduced plant species that are a threat within the park? And what do you do to keep them from taking over? Collingwood Area School
- Are there many track users who come unprepared for their time within the park? Are most people responsible when it comes to checking the weather forcast or do a lot of people get caught out? Is this patrolled at all? Collingwood Area School
- Have you seen an increase of specific native bird species, or an overall increase in birds since using what ever predator controls you are using? Collingwood Area School
Questions for Web Conference 2 on Wednesday 19 February at 9:15am
- How can we help to protect the tracks and trails in our area? Collingwood Area School
- Do private land owners get financial assistance from the government if they want to predator proof their property? Collingwood Area School
- Do private land owners have a say whether or not a control such as 1080 is used on their land? Collingwood Area School
- What are private landowners doing to protect threatened species? and does the government assist them to protect these species? Collingwood Area School
- If there is an awa or maunga on private land that you would love to access can the land owner say you are not allowed on there? Collingwood Area School
- Can you hunt on DOC or private land? Masterton Intermediate School
- Randall, what motivates you to have people accessing your land, especially when not everyone behaves well? LEARNZ Office
- Can the Government take private land for different purposes? Lucy Waikite Valley.
- If there are multiple walking tracks on your farm, how many are there? Masterton Intermediate School
- Are there any bats or moreporks on your land? Masterton Intermediate School
Questions for Web Conference on Thursday 20 February at 9:15am
- If we are going in the outdoors, how can we keep our environmental impacts to a minimum? eg hiking, mountain biking, hunting? LEARNZ Office
- Does the walking access site have details of tracks and trails all around NZ? Pamapuria School
- Are the mountain bikers respectful of tracks and trails and other walkers? Masterton Intermediate
- Are you allowed to hunt on private land? Masterton Intermediate
- What is the difference between preparing for a long journey as opposed to a short journey? LEARNZ Office
- What is one of your best trails or adventures in NZ that is on your Walking Access site? LEARNZ Office
- Are you for or against 1080 and if you are do you have any ideas to stop the pests, to be pest free by 2050? Masterton Intermediate
- What are your top 5 tips for people who are doing a first time trip into our tracks and trails? Pamapuria School
- How many species of birds and mammals are in Mt Aspiring? Collingwood Area School
- On a scale from 1-5 what is the risk of bushfires across NZ? Alex from Pamapuria School
- Where can we find out about how many native species are in NZ and where they can be found? Pamapuria School.