The Waterview Connection Project began in 2012 and will be finished in early 2017.
Timeline of events since the last 2015 LEARNZ field trip
- Tunnel painting begins. The tunnel walls are being painted a cream colour to 4m in height and then black on the roof.
- Southern Ventilation Building is finished.
- Alan Wood Reserve opens for walking and cycling.
- Alice finishes the second of two tunnels.
- Work to take Alice apart begins. Alice will be shipped back to Germany.
- Opening of the Waterview Reserve Playground.
- The 16 cross passages that run between the two motorway tunnels are finished.
- Hendon Footbridge arch installed.
- Mechanical and electrical fit-out of tunnels begins.
- Work on Waterview Reserve skatepark begins.
- Work continues on the Great North Road Interchange.
- Work starts on the 2.5km Waterview Shared Path.
- Work on a small 90 metre long Northern Ventilation Tunnel (NVT) begins.
- Dennis, the giant yellow gantry crane, finishes building the Great North Road Interchange.
- New changing rooms and a volleyball court have been opened at Valonia Reserve.
- Jet fans to vent the tunnels are fitted.
- Alan Wood Pond building begins
- State Highway 20 (SH20) widening begins.
- The final stage of the Valonia Reserve skatepark and half basketball court begins.
In September 2016 you can take part in the LEARNZ virtual field trip to the Waterview Connection site. You will see how the project is going, drive through the tunnels and find out what needs to be finished before the opening in early 2017.